Wednesday, November 5, 2008

food storage

So since the economy took a nosedive I've been very impressed to get our food storage up to par (I know, after years of hearing it from Church leaders it finally clicked). When we were in Idaho about 3 weeks ago, my mom had TONS of apples. It was a good year for apples and she has 5 apple trees at her house and my grandma also has some. So while we were there I made 21 pints of applesauce. She then sent me home with apples, and we snacked on them until we were sick of them. I made some butterscotch apple dip, and some apple dumplings. Then I took the rest of the apples and made 6 batches of apple pie filling (so easy, and you freeze it). Then today I took the 4 freezer bags of raspberries that she gave me and made 2 batches of freezer jam. I've been shopping the sales and Costco trying to fill our freezer and guess what - IT IS FULL. I still would like to get some more meat - there is only chicken and ground beef out there right now, but it is a start. So anyone reading have any great canning and/or freezer recipes to share? :)

And our DSL has been up and down for the last week. Hoping to get a chance to get on the phone with our ISP to get it straightened out, but usually you need about 90 free minutes and so I've found it challenging - might not get to it until Friday when Mike is here. If you've emailed and I haven't responded, its probably because the email didn't download yet or my reply hasn't gone out yet.

1 comment:

Sheri Wojtasek said...

Sorry to hear about your DSL that's frustrating! I am proud of you for your forward movement on home storage! I need to improve mine so drastically!