A few weeks ago we took Cooper into his Allergist for a re-test of tree nuts. For those who don't know, I had Cooper tested a year ago after some very concerning incidents with what appeared to be a nut sensitivity. I was convinced from those incidents that he was definitely allergic to cashews, and thought he might have a peanut sensitivity. Well, at the allergist's office, they did a scratch test. If you've never heard of this, they mark your back with numbers (as above), then they scratch your back with small amounts of the allergin (in our case different tree nuts) next to the corresponding number. Then you wait. After a few minutes, hives appear where the allergin that you are allergic to was administered. Make sense? Well, last year Cooper's skin test came back positive for cashew and nothing else. The doctor wasn't convinced it was correct since he had a reaction when exposed to peanut butter at home. So he ordered a blood test. The blood test came back positive for peanut and negative for cashew. 'Bring him back in a year', the Doc said. Until then, keep him away from nuts.
So a year went by and we were back. The results this time? Cashew, peanut AND pistachio. For some reason the three usually appear together. Scary stuff.
So people have asked me how I handle it. Right now the only time I'm not in control of what goes in his mouth is at church and at preschool. For instance, when I picked him up from preschool today, one of the moms had forgotten about his nut allergy and was giving the kids peanut butter cookies. Lucky for us I was there and Coop handed me his cookie before taking a big bite. It is nerve-wracking. We carry an epi-pen wherever Coop goes and teach our family and baby-sitters how to use it. I ask what is in everything and read labels on everything to make sure he's not in danger. I'll tell you what I'm really scared for: Kindergarten. Until then, I'll continue to monitor what goes in his mouth and continue teaching him to ask if there are nuts before he puts anything in his mouth.
1 comment:
WOW....Cooper the pin cushion! Glad to see ya blog again....I am still awaiting the pics of Mike WITH hair and not facial hair :o)
Post a Comment