Monday, November 2, 2009

He's here - 3 weeks early

Promised you all an update, and boy do I have one. Sunday afternoon, my water broke a out 3:10. We were at Stake Conference at the time. Luckily the biggest gushes came while we were in the car and at home. We came to the hospital at about 5 o'clock while our wonderful neighbors stayed with the boys until my mom could get here from Idaho. My labor progressed quite quickly, and the baby was born at 10:35 that night. It was a simple delivery, but it was 3 weeks early. Baby was 8 lbs 8 oz and 21 inches long.

After delivery he started having issues breathing. They couldn't get him to pink up and breathe really well. So they rushed him off to the special care nursery and he's been there ever since. He's having trouble breathing on his own and keeping his oxygen levels where they should be. It is honestly taking all his energy just to breathe. They had him on regular oxygen for a while but that wasn't enough for him so they put a CPAP on him. That's a contraption that goes around his face and is taped to his nose. It forces air down his nasal passage and into his lungs. He's been on it since this afternoon and we are anxiously awaiting morning when they will re-run all his tests and see if the CPAP is working. Little man hated wearing it so much he freaked out to the point of needing to be sedated. The plus side to this is that he is resting soundly and not having to work as hard to take a breath. The pediatrician feels confident he will pull out of it, we just don't know how long it will take. Right now it looks like when I get discharged tomorrow night the baby will not be coming home with me.

I just want to thank everyone for the texts, emails, calls, thoughts and prayers on our behalf. My family and rectangle family have been so great to take care of the boys without even a second thought. I'm holding up okay. I can tell you I lost it a little seeing him for the first time with the CPAP on. It really swelled up his nose and eye area and it just looks cumbersome and uncomfortable. And it really is hard to not be able to pick him up and hold him when he starts to fuss. I got to hold him this morning for a bit but Mike still hasn't been able to hold him. Mike and our neighbor were able to give him a blessing this morning and that went really well.

I don't have any pictures handy since I am borrowing this laptop from the hospital. But Mike updated his facebook pr0file and mine with the pictures we took this morning. So you can check them out over there if you'd like. I'll try to update a gain soon to keep you all in the loop with the progress of the baby. By the way, we decided to name him Emmett Grant.

5 comments:

Jenefer said...

Brek,

I'm so proud of you! You are holding up as best as you can. I can't wait to HUG YOU!!! It's a tough road that some of us choose to take in life, but we are blessed for the trials that we've accepted. Emmett Grant is in good hands and has a FABULOUS MOMMY and DADDY! (and 2 AWESOME brothers!)

You're right when everyone has taken over without a second thought....what goes around, comes around! It's MY turn to spoil YOU! We are anxiously awaiting for any updates!

I'm off to that stupid "HEARING" test this morning for "G" and then I should be back!!!

I LOVE YOU!!!!

Sheri Wojtasek said...

Hey Hot Mama! Ray and I are so sending our love to you (well the rest of your fam too) Now I know what you meant when talking about trying to help Ray and I and the helplessness feeling you had.....that's how I feel...I want to help in ANY AND EVERY way I can and I just don't know how to or what will help you the best....so you have to speak up!!! I too like Jenefer know at the end of this trial you will be stronger and have a deeper appreciation for Heavenly Father....Please don't be afraid to show your real, raw emotions to me....I know how it feels to try and hold it together day in and day out....eventually it drives you crazy! So I am here as the listening ear, loving arms that encircle you....and hopefully make this trial a little less stressful!

To say you are my good friend is such an understatment....You are for all purposes...my sister!! And I love you so much!!!

Sabrina said...

CONGRATS!!! I've heard all the news from Jenefer. OMG!!! Water breaking in the middle of Stake Conference - see that's why I never go to it. Emmett sure is big for being 3 weeks early, just think if you'd had him a week or two later. Yikes. Oh, I LOVE the middle name especially but his whole name is cute.

I need to get over this stupid cold so I can come see everyone when they get home and maybe take some pictures if you want.

Sabrina said...

One more thing, did you have him on Sunday just so you didn't have to update this blog weekly? Hee!

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Little guy is in our thoughts and prayers....and you too!

Lots of love and positivity coming your way.

Hugs - JaLae